Nutrition and Dietetics Club
January 28th, 2014
1. Moore Center Nutrition Update:
Talk to Anya if you are interested in volunteering and attending the conference. (email@example.com)
2. Career Services: What do they offer?
You can make an appointment and talk about anything (resumes, ways to connect, looking for a job etc), attend career fairs-which offer great opportunities for networking
3. Networking Presentation:
- Conferences: don’t be afraid to talk to people in the field even if you feel they are way more experienced than you
- Networking just means connecting with people. We do this all of the time.
- Google yourself regularly and take down offensive pictures
- When networking introduce yourself (always lead with a positive presentation of yourself) and be professional but say something interesting or unique.
- Follow up if possible after the initial meeting
- Make 4 lists 1. Which includes people you already know but would like to get to know better. 2. People you would like to know. 3. Companies that you would like to know more about. 4. What are your values and what is important to you?
- Informational interviewing is a great way to get to know other people in the field also a great way to find out about how you will like doing their job or something similar. Finish every informational interview by asking who else you should talk to.
- Think of what is important to you: location, environment, values etc
- Consider joining LinkedIn
- Top 5 skills that are in demand that you should represent to potential employers and co-workers: communication, team work, problem solving, self direction and management, obtain and process information
- Sell transferable skills: multiple languages etc and tell your stories and try to be clear about what you have to offer
- 70% of jobs are obtained through networking
- We should spend 90% of our time networking as part of our job search strategies
- Join a professional organization (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Oregon Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietetics Practice Groups)
Minutes submitted by Nova Elwood, NDC Secretary